An engines tourney, and some toughts about openings.

Yesterday, I make a suicide engine tourney on one of my computer between 4 engines:

  • Sjeng (version 11.2), the most popular suicide engine. I used it with his default settings, default opening book and 3 piece egtb. (link)
  • Wizard (version 3.1), the demo / free version. Default settings (link)
  • Pulsar (version 2009-9b) , with his default settings. (link)
  • Nessjeng, a version of sjeng (11.2) that I have made, default settings and 3 pieces egtb
  • I was sure that my own version of sjeng will finish higher that sjeng, but I wanted to compare with others.
    The tourney was a 50 games Round-robin of 1 minute with 1 second incremental.

    Here the result:
    Nessjeng 117.5 / 150
    Wizard 94 / 150
    Sjeng 87.5 / 150
    Pulsar 10 / 150

    All games can be download in one big .pgn file here.

    What changes have I made to sjeng ?
    Simply, a way better opening book. Ok, I must confess that isn’t a simple handmade opening book, I had connect a sjeng on the huge opening book of suicidechess.ca .
    I got this idea several months ago, when I started to program a opening book layer of StayAlive( a wizard engine running on FICS) for Neca.
    Recently for the job, I needed to do some C/C++ programming. It was my first real C/C++ program. When I looked that Sjeng source code, I saw that could be easy to connect it to the opening book database.

    I knew that Sjeng and wizard have some weakness in their openings, but I didn’t tough that will be that much.

    There’s a lot of better chess engine programmer than me, but many underestimate the importance of the opening. I strongly suggest to new engine programmer to invest their time in all game phase: opening, middle game and endgame. It’s true not only for the suicide variant, but for all chess variant.

    Currently, i’m only under windows, so I can’t compare these engines vs linux engines. But if you know others engines to throw-in, I can easily run others tourney.

    Publicités

    A major line have been prove

    This morning, a major line have been prove :
    the 1.e3 c6

    Since few week I was working on it, and yesterday I was working hard on it, it was near to be complete. I wanted to see it prove, but when you fall asleep in front of your computer it’s time to go to sleep. And when I wake up, the line was complete.

    This line is the biggest line proved as Lost in the book of Nilatac

    I’ll like to thanks again the Nilatac opening book, the wizard engine that help for some position, and all Azor owners.

    A special mention to Yannos, since I think that he’s the one who complete the last part of this line!